Meet our ombuds in person, in Zoom, or on the phone!
Books with an asterisk (*) are available through the UT Library and are directly linked to the library catalog.
Becoming a Competent Communicator in Conflict
- Brown, B. TEDTalk The Power of Vulnerability–Video*
- Brown, B. Empathy vs Sympathy–Video
- Brown, B. (2015). Daring Greatly: How the Courage to be Vulnerable Transforms the Way We Live, Love, Parent, and Lead*
- Fisher, R., Ury, W. L., & Patton, B. (2011) Getting to Yes
- Hicks, D. (2011). Dignity: The Essential Role It Plays in Resolving Conflict*
- Emotional Intelligence 2.0*
- Hicks, D. TedxStoremont Declare Dignity–Video
- Crucial Conversations: Tools for Talking When Stakes Are High*
- Rosenberg, M. B. (2015). Nonviolent Communication: A Language of Life: Life-Changing Tools for Healthy Relationships*
- Voce, C. (2016). Never Split the Difference: Negotiating As If Your Life Depended On It
Becoming an Inclusive Communicator in Conflict
- Hill, M., L., & Brewster, T. (2022) Seen and Unseen: Technology, Social Media, and the Fight for Racial Justice
- Jana, T. & Baran, M. (2020). Subtle Acts of Exclusion: How to Understand, Identify, and Stop Microaggressions*
- Kendi, I. X. (2019). How to be an Anti-Racist*
- Scott, K. (2021). Just Work: How to Root Out Bias, Prejudice, and Bullying to Build a Kick-Ass Culture of Inclusivity
Becoming a Conflict Competent Leader
- Brown, B. (2018). Dare to Lead: Brave Work, Tough Conversations, Whole Heart*
- Castallo, R. T. (2017). Dealing with Dysfunction: A Guide for University Leaders
- Edmondson, A. (2019). The fearless organization*
- Hicks, D. (2018). Leading with Dignity: How to Create a Culture That Brings Out the Best in People*
- Leoncioni, P. (2002). The Five Dysfunctions of a Team: A Leadership Fable*
- Runde, C. E & Flanagan T. A. (2013). Becoming a Conflict Competent Leader
- Runde, C. E & Flanagan T. A. (2018). Building Conflict Competent Teams*
- Scott, K. (2019). Radical Candor: Be a Kick-Ass Boss Without Losing Your Humanity*
Learn more about the Ombuds Profession
- International Ombuds Association (2022). How to Become an Ombuds
Howard, C. (2011). The Organizational Ombudsman: Origins, Roles, and Operations: A Legal Guide. American Bar Association.
Katz, N. H., Sosa, K. J., & Kovack, L. N. (2018). Ombuds and Conflict Resolution Specialists: Navigating Workplace Challenges in Higher Education. Journal of the International Ombudsman Association.
- Spitalniak, L. (2022). Ombuds offer colleges conflict resolution in a contentious time. Higher Ed Dive.
- Wajngurt, C. (2019). The Faculty Ombudsperson: Maintaining Civility and Academic Freedom in Higher Education. Journal of the International Ombudsman Association, 12(1).